Common Defense is a new American movement for peace, security, and justice united and led by progressive veterans. We are a grassroots, working-class movement dedicated to building an equitable democracy to ensure social, racial, environmental, and economic justice.
The values that continue to guide our work are:
- Power not patronage
- Progress to a bright future for all
- Equity and ownership in our democracy
- Justice leading to impartial treatment of all
- Solidarity to affirm the importance of community
Common Defense veterans meeting with Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez at the US House of Representatives.
The majority of American veterans are working class, diverse, heavily located in key swing states and districts, and among the most trusted and persuasive organizers, canvassers, and leaders within our communities. It’s time we take back our power and speak for ourselves.
In order to build a sustainable progressive movement going forward, we are organizing the country’s veterans, by building community and developing leadership among fellow veterans across the country. All of our organizing work, processes, and decisions are performed through an equity and justice lens that is proactively applied at every stage. We organize around the following advocacy issues:
- Democracy – Promoting a government that is representative and responsive to the people.
- Peace and Security – Building a national security and foreign policy infrastructure that is dedicated to ending wars and protecting human rights and liberties.
- Economic Justice – Protecting workers from exploitation and ensuring labor rights are upheld.
- Racial Justice – Demanding a restorative reconciliation process that builds racial equity for all Americans.
- Gender Justice – Providing an equitable society for all people regardless of their gender, gender expression, and sexual orientation.
- Environmental Justice – Improving and maintaining a clean and healthful environment for all people.
- Healthcare as a Human Right – Ensuring community solutions to healthcare that ensures timely, affordable, and universal health care for all.
- Solidarity – Supporting a multi-issue struggle for justice and affirming the importance of community.
We know that veterans like us have a key role to play in ending the Forever War, passing the Green New Deal and Medicare for All, and replacing our broken systems that fail to serve working families like ours.
Our Ongoing Core Campaigns
- End the Forever War
- Save Our VA
- No War on Our Streets
Visit our Campaigns Page for more information on our ongoing core campaigns.